A brief bit of background...
- DD11 has used too many programs to count - Ray's, Math Mammoth, Singapore, Strayer-Upton, a tiny trial with Math-U-See, Life of Fred. This was my problem, not hers. We're finishing Strayer-Upton Book 1 right now and it includes addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and some very beginning fractions.
- DS8 has used only Math Mammoth (grades 1 and finishing grade 2 now) and Life of Fred.
I've decided to switch everyone, including my youngest scholar who will be 5. She won't be any trouble as we'll start from the beginning.
I've ordered Primer for dd5, Gamma for ds8 and Epsilon for dd11. DD11 and DS8 will take the placement test to make sure they're ok, but from the looks of the tests, it looks right.
Questions and Concerns:
- We have missed the early ways that MUS explains things. Will this matter? Should we back up more just to know the MUS way?
- With 3 kids doing MUS and all needing to watch the videos, I'm a bit concerned about scheduling. I intend to watch the videos with the kids most often, esp. the younger ones. What if on Fridays dd11 sees Epsilon and proceeds from there, Mondays ds8 can watch Gamma and Tuesdays dd5 can watch Primer? Does that work? Or should I just schedule more time on Mondays for math to do all 3 videos then?
- There are worksheets A-F and a test for each chapter. How do you all schedule these out? Do you ever skip any or do them all?
- I'm thinking this might work for a basic plan:
- Day 1 - Watch video & do Sheets A & B
- Day 2 - Corrections plus Sheets C & D
- Day 3 - Corrections plus Sheets E & F
- Day 4 - Corrections plus Test
- Day 5 - We usually have co-op 1 day per week and don't do extra work this day, but we could do something if need be. Maybe the test on co-op day would be good?
- What about Extra Practice, Extras like calendar, time, money, basic measurement? Do you add them in?
- Is there a quick catch-up method for learning MUS way for those coming in later? We have the right skills, but I'm thinking more about the how it's done.
I greatly appreciate your input. I intend to stick with MUS for at least next year and preferably for the long haul. We will keep doing LOF, too, because we love it.