7-year-old's copywork not improving

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We are supposed to require perfection in copywork. I have been giving my 7-year-old a single sentence of copywork each day for the last several months. (We pulled the kids from public school and started homeschooling in April of this year.) He hates it, and makes imperfect letters every time. Then I circle the handful of letters that are sloppiest. He then erases and rewrites those letters. Usually the second time, his work is better, though not perfect. 

Should I be concerned that I don’t see much improvement, if any? Should the same copywork passage be repeated the following day if it is not perfect?

Also, my son forms certain letters properly ONLY when I am sitting next to him and watching. If he is writing in any setting outside of daily copywork he goes back to his old ways of forming his letters in funny ways that produce less than stellar-looking results. Should I try to do anything about that, other than reminding him to write properly when I see it?

Thanks!

Shauna

missceegee
    Participant

I always sit with him for copywork until perfection becomes habit. Back off and do only 1–3 of a single letter. Copywork comes after letter formation is perfect. Start with a and a few consonants that can make short words. Once 2-3 letters are perfected, then short words, more single letters, more short words. Once ALL letters are mastered, then try a single short sentence. If it takes an entire term, so be it. You are building the habits of perfect execution (best effort), attention.

Personally, I would require ALL written work to be completed properly, even notes and such. Otherwise you are reinforcing wrong habits.

Have you tried cursive? I teach cursive from the beginning and it has been very successful here.

skboren

Thank you, that is really helpful. I like the idea of just teaching cursive and leaving printing behind. There is no disadvantage to never having learned to print properly if a child can use cursive, is there? (It’s hard to wrap my brain around. I’ve always printed, and never used cursive when it could be avoided.)

missceegee
    Participant

I’ve successfully taught cursive in the beginning with two programs – Cursive First and Pencil Pete. Others would be fine as well. There are many advantages to cursive. I’ve posted here before. I’m sorry, but I’m too tired to look for it now. 

Blessings,

Christie

skboren

That’s great, thank you Christie, I’ll look into those cursive programs. 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘7-year-old's copywork not improving’ is closed to new replies.