4 1/2 year old wants to sew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter who wants to sew-with a “real needle”.  She’s been doing sewing cards for ever so long, and she wants to tackle a project.  With my older daughter, we started with a hand stitch sampler, but she was nearly 6 when we started that- I’m not sure my 4 yo has the coordination yet.  That being said, does anyone have any ideas for *easy* sewing projects that a 4 yo can handle?  I was thinking of a scarf with just a (big) blanket stitch…

**She does have very good coordination and fine motor skills for her age-she’s been writing with a tripod hold since she was about 18months old, and has good handwriting.  I just don’t think she’s ready for anything as small as learning various stitches for a sampler yet.  Hope that all makes sense…**

Thanks all!

LillyLou

MamaSnow
    Participant

I don’t know if a plastic needle will count as a ‘real’ needle in her mind =), I but I recently picked up a little “learn to sew” kit at JoAnn’s for my dd (6, but this is her first sewing experience). It was fairly inexpensive – $6.99 maybe, although I got it with a coupon. It had precut felt pieces with little holes punched out already to stich together, so you use a blunt needle with it. The one we got is a door hangar, but there were some other things like picture frames as well. She is enjoying it and seems to me like it would be a good transition between lacing cards and a ‘real’ sewing project.

Just a thought!

Jen

jmac17
    Participant

Try this:

http://www.filthwizardry.com/2010/02/sewing-and-embroidery-for-kids-with.html

We did a picture of pumpkins last month.  I plan on drawing out some Christmas pictures for the next project.  My six year old daughter loved this project.  My 4.5 year old boy got about 6 stitches in and gave up, but he is not much for fine motor type projects.  I’m sure my daughter would have done it at 4 years old, although it would have taken more guidance.

Joanne

LillyLou
    Participant

Jen and Joanne, thank you so much for the ideas!  I may have to try bothLaughing

LillyLou

Tia
    Participant

My 5 yo was the same way and my next door neighbor taught her to embroider.  She loves it and has done a couple of projects, including a pillow…

Tia
    Participant

Now, she spends most of her free time knitting…you could teach her to knit?  

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘4 1/2 year old wants to sew’ is closed to new replies.