Let’s get together! The Events section is the place to connect with like-minded CMers. Upcoming CM events, as well as ongoing CM groups and book discussions, are listed. Feel free to send us CM-friendly events that you know about.
June 12–15, 2013: 9th Annual Charlotte Mason Education Conference at Ferrum College in Ferrum, VA.
July 26–27, 2013: Living Education Retreat at Shalom Hill Farm, Windom, MN.
CM Groups and Book Discussions By Area
- Orange County—Monthly CM meeting for Long Beach, Orange County, and surrounding areas. Second Thursday of the month, 7:00 pm. “Same time, same place. Our topic for discussion changes every month as we are going through her ‘Home Education’ Series (Vol. I to VI). Bring your notes & ideas from your CM reading. More than just having each of us come to hear one person speak on CM, we benefit more when we all share a little something. Since we’re all striving to read the Series for our own understanding, we each try to share on what God is teaching us through her work. It’s amazing how, with each topic and with each morsel of her philosophy, I am finding that there is so much to digest! We can’t wait to meet and hear from you.”
- Jacksonville—The Learning With Charlotte group meets monthly in various group members’ homes for an hour of discussion on a reading from the Charlotte Mason series and a second hour of a Theory Applied lesson. Meetings run from 7:00 to 9:30 p.m. Visit the Learning With Charlotte website for dates, reading schedule, and topics.
- Buford—Monthly book discussion. Second Tuesday of every month, 7:30 to 9:00 pm. Discussing Educating the Wholehearted Child by Sally Clarkson. Meets at the Barnes and Nobles (upstairs in the cafe) at the Mall of Georgia.
- Kennesaw—Monthly support group and book discussion. Last Tuesday of every month, 7:30 to 9:00 pm. “NWGCMH (Northwest Georgia Charlotte Mason Homeschoolers) is a Christian homeschool support group with a special interest in upholding Charlotte Mason’s educational methods and philosophies. We support all homeschoolers using these methods in whatever teaching approach they are currently using in their own family’s home education system.” For more information, check their Yahoo group: NWGCMH.
- Pierceton—Weekly reading and support group. Every Tuesday evening at 7:00 pm at the Blue Lion coffee house. They have met for approx. 10 years and have read Karen Andreola’s book twice and 3 of CM’s books, plus When Children Love to Learn.
- Gorham—Monthly book discussion. First Thursday of every month, 7:00 to 8:30 pm. Discussing A Charlotte Mason Companion. Contact Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org or their Yahoo group: Real-Books.
- Living Education Retreat: Take time to refresh and renew your vision on the quiet, rolling landscape of the Minnesota prairie. Join us at the eighth annual Living Education Retreat for two days of outstanding speakers on a wide range of topics relating to Charlotte Mason’s philosophy and methods of education. All are welcome to attend and discuss ideas, share meals, and grow relationships amidst the peaceful, intimate setting of Shalom Hill Farm.
- Windom—The Parents’ Midwest Education Union (PMEU) meets monthly at the Windom Evangelical Free Church for an hour of discussion on a reading from the Charlotte Mason series and a second hour of a Theory Applied lesson. Meetings run from 7:00 to 9:30 p.m. Visit the PMEU website for dates, reading schedule, and topics.
- Cary—Monthly book discussion. Charlotte Mason Mothers meets on the third Saturday of every month. They also have a CM-Kids Co-op group that meets bi-monthly. For more detailed information, check their Yahoo group: CM-MothersNC.
- Charlotte Metro area—The Charlotte Metro area has a support group called CMeLearn (“see-me-learn”). They exchange ideas and discuss CM methods online. They also meet monthly in different parts of the city to discuss topics like habits, narration, living books, nature study & share information about upcoming events in their area, etc. The more experienced share what they’ve done and the novices ask lots of questions and gain insight. The regional groups pick which day of the week to meet monthly. For more detailed information, check their Yahoo group: CMeLearn.
- Oklahoma City—Monthly discussion group meeting on the last Tuesday of each month at the N.W. Expressway Mardel store. From 5:00 to 6:00 p.m., they focus on Jr./Sr. High discussion. From 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., they have a general CM discussion.
- Simpsonville—They will be meeting every 2nd Thursday each month (August-May) from 7pm-9pm at the B-Encouraged House, 208 South Main St, Simpsonville, SC. The monthly support meetings are for Christian Home Educating Mothers who are either fully incorporating Charlotte Mason’s methods, or those who just want to LEARN more about them. Each month they will be discussing each method in depth and how to simply and practically implement CM methods into your home education. Email email@example.com to sign up, or if you have any questions. Sign-up is not required but appreciated. *At this time we do not have childcare available during the meetings.
- Flower Mound—Monthly support group. Please visit the Flower Mound, Texas, Yahoo group for more information.
- Lufkin—Charlotte Mason Support Group for East Texas area. Meets monthly on the third Friday of the month at Denman Avenue Baptist Church Family Life Center. The meeting is from 1:00 to 3:00 pm, and children are welcome to come and play in the attached gym. They will discuss some aspect of the CM philosophy of education each month, and they also offer support, fellowship, and encouragement for homeschool moms.