Sometimes software for unpacking zip files needs to be installed or brought up-to-date in order to read files you have downloaded from Simply Charlotte Mason. Fortunately, there is a good free option for that called “7-Zip”. (Macintosh OS and newer Windows versions all have unzip built-in. This is most likely only necessary for older Windows versions.)
Here are the steps for downloading and installing it. There are a lot of steps but they are not difficult and you should only have to do them one time.
- Download 7-Zip with this link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.22/7z922.exe/download
- You may see a dialog open asking if you want to run or save the file. Click the “Run” button.
- You may see a security dialog verifying that you want to run this software? Click the “Run” button.
- An installer window should appear. Click the “Install” button.
- Click the “Finish” button when it is done installing.
Now that 7-Zip is installed, we need to tell your computer to use it to open zip files whenever you click them.
Right click on one of your zip files you downloaded from SCM. Select “Open With” from the menu, then select “Choose Program…” from the next menu.
- An “Open With” window should appear. Check the box near the bottom that says “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”.
- Click on the line in the list of programs that says “7-Zip File Manager”, then click the “OK” button.
- 7-Zip will open a window showing your file. You can drag the file out to store it wherever you like.
That’s it. The next time you need to open a zip file, just double-click it and it should open automatically.